I just want to say that I'm eating PB&J on an english muffin while typing this… so not cool…
Ok- below will be the recipe I use regularly. I've tried many– most are very good and frankly fairly similar. You might come across a recipe calling for sugar or honey. This isn't so much for sweetening the dough but feeding the yeast. A well fed yeast yields a tastier crust. It also helps the rise time along if you are using it the same day. The sugar will help caramelization to some degree as well.
You may also come across a recipe calling for olive oil. This helps relax the dough, especially if using bread flour (higher protein content=higher gluten formation=resilient structure and chew– similar to standard pizzeria style crust) I could get into flour-talk but it can get complicated. I generally use Italian "00" flour when I can find it. It has a similar protein level as American all-purpose but is made from durum-wheat which yields an airier/tender bite and not as much chew. (Think Anthony's coal fired pizza style if you've been there– or John's Pizza on Bleeker Street, or Arturro's on Houston or… sorry…) It all really depends on your personal preference.
Having said ALL that (geez what a windbag) AP flour works JUST FINE! For me what's key– as I mentioned yesterday– is ferment time. If you can make the dough in advance it yields a more complex flavored dough. Anywhere from 24 to 36 hrs is optimum. I've gone as long as three days! After the dough has risen, remove from fridge @2hrs before baking. Divide the dough in four equal sized balls (round dough=round pizza!)and place on an oiled sheet pan(yes– of course extra-virgin!) then cover with plastic. The next two hours while coming to temperature will further increase flavor. An hour before baking, heat your pizza stone(s)(do tell me you have a pizza stone!)I generally crank it up all the way… 450-500 degrees(Hey- if you want to make pizza it's going to get hot in the kitchen!) A cooler oven will naturally cook slower yielding a "puffier" crust with a little more chew. Not my cup of espresso but if it's what you like then 375-400 should work. (I guess…)
Before you go any further… pour yourself some wine dammit!
If you're gutsy by all means spin your dough in the air. I general practice the flatten and rotate method on a liberally floured surface. You can also use a rolling pin.
A couple of topping notes. This may sound counter intuitive but I like to put the mozzarella on the dough before the sauce. This will yield a creamier/stretchier consistency. As far as sauce– I use San Marzano tomatoes crushed by hand or pureed– straight from the can. They have a pure intense tomato-y flavor which is simply quite delicious.
The rest is on you. You really can't go wrong. And hey- it's just pizza!
Sorry for the length… I just get excited…
Dough:
4.5 cups AP flour
1 3/4 tspns salt
1 tspn instant yeast
1 3/4 cups cold H2O (remember the key is a very slow rise.. If you need the dough asap use warmer H2O but not over 90 degrees and don't refrigerate!)
In a large bowl, mix flour, salt, and yeast. Make a well in the middle– add water and stir with a sturdy spoon or fork till a nice sticky ball comes together. Knead it by hand till it looks like dough ought to look.
Let it rest in a bowl coating it with olive oil. Go ahead… stick your nose in the bowl… I love that smell!

No comments:
Post a Comment