June 7, 2013

 kohlrabi slaw:







Kohlrabi(brassica oleracea)is a perennial vegetable and is a cousin of cabbage (once removed through marriage). It can be sauteed, roasted (not unlike beets) or made into fritters. I prefer to eat it raw in a salad (not unlike radishes), or pickled. My favorite way to have kohlrabi is to make it into slaw!

Simply julienne the vegetable and prepare it as you would your favorite coleslaw. My preference: salt and pepper (naturally!), a little sugar, a sprinkle of celery seed, a drizzle of x.v. olive oil, a splash of apple cider vinegar, and most importantly a squeeze of fresh orange juice! It's crisp and fresh with a satisfying crunch similar to radishes but with a mellow cabbage-y flavor. 


Note: Don't discard the leaves! They can be braised or sauteed in the same way as kale or collards. A little splash of cider vinegar brightens them up nicely!





2 comments:

Amy said...

I love everything about this! You need sponsors and publicity. Others should know about this.

Nat said...

Thanks Amy! It might be time to start up one of those "social network" accounts so I can get the word out... I think they call it "the facebook" or something. I can't believe I just said that...