July 26, 2013




random ingredient of the week: fennel seeds

the fruit of the bulb-like fennel plant foeniculum vulgare.


In my kitchen, fennel is ubiquitous as salt and pepper. A jar of ground fennel seeds sits on the counter along side the salt cellar, pepper mill, and bottle of x.v.olive oil. Fennel has a similar licoricey flavor to that of anise, but it is different-- it is herbal yet earthy, sweet yet pungent. Fennel seeds can be found in both western and eastern pantries-- from herbs deProvence to Chinese five-spice. It can also be found in many curry recipes. Fennel complements many dishes, especially those containing pork or chicken. I also like using it in vegetarian dishes featuring zucchini, eggplant, or potatoes. 

Of course fennel seeds are commonly found in traditional sweet Italian sausage recipes. As far as I'm concerned it's not sweet Italian sausage without it! There are few things more pleasurable than eating a grilled sausage and biting down into a bright and floral fennel seed! Though some might disagree with that last statement, and that's ok…(Hi dad!)

A note on grinding fennel seeds: As with most spices, lightly toasting the seeds will surely intensify the flavor, but I found they lose a little of the bright "green-ness" I really like. Both ways are good… try for yourself! I grind the seeds in a coffee grinder dedicated to spices. If you don't have one, a mortar and pestle works well too (I can't help you if you don't have one of those…) but you really should get a grinder. They can be found for less than $20 in any home goods store. Having one in your kitchen will give you the opportunity to use the freshest herbs and spices available-- and spices bought in "bulk" at finer food stores or specialty spice shops will be much less expensive, leaving you with more money to buy wine!






No comments: